A gift of stock to the Kennebec Estuary Land Trust (KELT) can reduce your tax burden and help protect the land, water, and wildlife of the Kennebec Estuary.
Gifts of stock typically carry benefits not associated with gifts made by check, cash, or credit card:
- You avoid capital gains tax. Any gain is taxable if you sell stock or mutual fund shares yourself, but not if you transfer ownership to KELT.
- You receive credit from KELT for the full fair market value of the shares on the date the gift is made and your charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes is based on this value. The cost to you, however, is only your original purchase price.
There are two easy steps for gifts of stock to be electronically transferred:
Please notify KELT of your intention to make a stock gift with a quick phone call to (207) 442-8400 or send an email to email@example.com. The essential information needed is:
- donor name, physical address and email
- name of bank, broker name, broker’s phone number
- name of stock(s) to be transferred and the number of shares or approximate value
KELT works with Bath Savings Trust to process these gifts. It is vital that we have this information to ensure that your gift arrives safely and is processed correctly.
Contact your broker or agent to electronically transfer shares of stock. In response to your phone call or email expressing your intention to make the gift, KELT will provide you with the necessary information and account numbers needed to make the transfer.
Please contact professional advisers for legal, financial, or accounting advice. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call Carrie Kinne, KELT Executive Director, at (207) 442-8400.