KELT has assisted the Bath Water District in restoring the Nequasset Dam and fish ladder at the mouth of Nequasset Lake. This lake provides 537 acres of prime spawning habitat for alewives that the fish can only reach with the aid of this important ladder. This is a beautiful site with an interesting history. Check out the videos and articles listed below for images and information.
Nequasset Fish Ladder Restoration Time Lapse Video
See the 2014 construction of the new Nequasset Fish Ladder, and learn about what makes Nequasset a unique fish passage site.
Videos Showcasing the Nequasset Fish Ladder and Alewife Harvest
This 6 minute video tells the story of the Nequasset alewife run and KELT’s work in the Woolwich community to restore the ladder and ensure a successful run of alewives for decades to come.
Bowdoin College students Sam Mayne and Adrienne Hanson prepared a video about alewife restoration and the importance of alewives to fisheries in the Gulf of Maine. The Nequasset fish ladder restoration is highlighted.
Casco Bay Stories, a program of the Casco Bay Estuary Partnership, interviewed Steve Bodge about the Nequasset alewife harvest and his role harvesting fish and protecting alewives.
Christopher Cousins, at the Bangor Daily News, recorded this video as a part of his article, “Ancient Tradition of Harvesting Alewives Still Going Strong in Woolwich.”
Nequesset Fish Ladder Reconstruction Stories
- KELT Celebrates Projects’ Success, Times Record 4.10.2015
- Bath Land Trust to Talk Fish Passage At Annual Meeting, Forecaster 3.31.2015
- New Woolwich Fish Ladder: Product of Many Partnerships, Boothbay Register 10.27.2014
- Nequasset Fish Ladder Nears Completion, Coastal Journal 8.21.2014
- New Nequasset Dam Fish Ladder Under Construction, Boothbay Register 8.18.2014
- Work Begins on Fish Ladder, Times Record 7.29.2014
- Big Changes in Store for Woolwich Dam, Fish Ladder, Boothbay Register 5.27.2014
Nequasset Fish Count and Alewife Run Stories
- Fish Counters Needed at Nequasset Fish Ladder, Times Record 5.15.2015
- Fish Counters Needed at Nequasset Fish Ladder Through June, Boothbay Register 5.6.2015
- Fish Counters Needed at Nequasset, Coastal Journal 5.22.2014
- Alewives Counted One-By-One On Some Maine Rivers, Portland Press Herald 5.17.2014
- Counting on One Last Run: Nequasset Fish Ladder Set to Be Replaced This Summer, Times Record 5.16.2014
- Two Fish Ladders, An Ocean Lover in Maine blog, 5.14.2014
- Fish Counters Needed at Nequasset Dam: Now- June, Bangor Daily News 5.2.2014
- Restoring the Alewives: A Natural Phenomenon As Old As the Coast Returns, Coastal Journal 4.24.2014
- KELT, Woolwich to Restore Fishway with Grant Funds, Times Record 12.19.2013
- Nequasset Run has Begun, Times Record 5.1.2013
- Still Too Cold for Alewives, Boothbay Register 4.21.2013
- Fish counters needed at Nequasset Brook, Wiscasset Newspaper 3.19.2013
- Alewife Count Complete, Presentation at Nequasset Meetinghouse, Boothbay Register 6.7.2012
- Alewife Count Begins; Fish Ladder Repairs Eyed, Times Record 4.20.2012
Nequasset Alewife Harvest Stories
- Why My Town’s Funky Local Herrings Are the Fish of the Future, Zocalo on KCRW, 6.8.2016
- Herb Lilly, A Midcoast Legacy in the Form of Fish, Coastal Journal 5.1.2014
- Ancient Tradition of Harvesting Alewives Still Going Strong in Woolwich, Bangor Daily News 5.13.2012